Is That The Right Course?

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Labels:



Photo courtesy of Max Braun




Nine tenths of education is encouragement.

-Anatole France-


At This time of year I believes that a lot of post-SPM(Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia) student having a hard time deciding which course to apply for their first-time in university, or maybe for their first time applying.

I recall my first time doing so, vividly remembered how the decision was taken. So glad after all these years that my dad answers on which course to take was “Take what you like and what you really want”. Just that, no help in deciding which course.

I was quite shocked with the answer then, because it’s not easy making this decision. I was 17, just out of school, what do I know about engineering, architecture, doctoring or could be, computering. Hell I thought you can just type with computers at that time. We have a type-writer and computer keyboard was the best thing to compare with.

So there I was, contemplating on the lamest decision based on what I read-off the brochure and maybe a little influence from Tron, the movie. I can’t remember on last of the course list that I picked but the first three was science computing, gladly decided by me. Back then you could choose up to 5 courses which then be used for deciding committee to match you with available quota.

Now it never was an easy decision with all the rumours at that time on how hard one of the assignment, to put just a dot on the computer screen. I don’t know what could happen to me doing it, I’m pretty sure I could flunked studying it which I did, but still I took it... and again for second time till I graduated (The second time it feels like a challenge).

The bad news is nobody else knows what will happen to you with the course that they suggested. It’s all up to how you manage the study, the assignment, the girls and all.

Now, if I to be responsible, I might as well have a choice in it. Yes, maybe you fail the course, carrying the shame and wonder what would happen to you after that. I could recall a computer student in one of articles I read which graduated but can’t get a job ended-up literally being a clown. Neither has it had any guarantee in it. Good thing is, he likes being a clown doing parties and stays so till now.

There are no RIGHT or WRONG decision in this one. Normally suggestion arose as how you and people around you see you or how they want you to be. What do you want or like is deep within your heart and only you could dig it up.

12 comments:

ila said...

we choose what we want in our life..people can suggest but they never can tell what's d best for us..

Nuar Young said...

Yes, sis that's one of the hard truth out here. some could say it's hard but at least better than "Bird Watching In Lion Country"

pijang said...

komen aku: anuar kembali menulis...
next entry: in 5 month...
heh hehh...

Nuar Young said...

Yeah!, maybe a little shorter time frame. Cut me some slack. haha!

ila said...

hahah..this time i agree with abg. pijang..next entry is in 5 months time..

pijang said...

juat wait n see yaa...

Nuar Young said...

weh, entry ni pasal student nak decide masuk u la weh... sila citer camane awak wat keputusan dulu cik pijang.

pijang said...

dulu aku tak buat keputusan...
aku just go with the flow...
that why bila flow tu dah abis, aku macam terkandas...
sekarang ni baru aku go with what i want...
jangan tiru ok...

Nuar Young said...

Thank you brother Pijang, memang kene ngan posting ni. But it's ok bro.

Dalam hidup kita yang cuma sekali ni, tak pernah terlambat utk buat keputusan dan mengejar impian.

pijang said...

betul2...
kita mmg takkan terlambat buat keputusan...
tp kita mungkin tak sempat buat keputusan...
haha...

Liana Manan said...

choosing course after SPM was really not so easy. we might interested in that discipline but it may not suitable for us. or still have to consider susah/senang nak dpt keja, etc. so adults' opinion is very much needed.
aku dulu kena paksa amik engineering haha siyes tak penah terpikir nak amik course tu. study bagai nak rak hah! but the good comes later... lepas keja baru realized that the course is actually good for me. i am very much thankful to the decision maker - my late Dad :]

Nuar Young said...

Once I hear tells that people who says Money Is Not Everything is those who has money. Then again there's always 'What you do with what you have, not what you do with what you don't have'.

Good doing with what you have honey, nevertheless I'm sure it's been a great journey for you. Nice..!

Post a Comment